Twelve months later, we still can’t fly to Austin, congregate in cramped clubs, share greasy pizza slices on Sixth Street or cram into the pews at Central Presbyterian Church. But there will be a SXSW 2021, complete with musical discoveries from around the world, panel discussions and even a Tiny Desk lineup featuring artists whose names will remain a surprise until the moment the show takes place.
Though the festival’s virtual offerings are scaled back from previous years — between 200 and 300 acts are scheduled to perform via the SXSW website — there’s still a tremendous assortment of musical discoveries from all over the world. On this episode of All Songs Considered, Bob Boilen and Stephen Thompson highlight some of their favorite finds.
Featured Artists And Songs:
1. Adwaith: “Fel i Fod,” from Melyn
2. Bongeziwe Mabandla: “Ndokulandela,” from Mangaliso
3. HAEPAARY: “A Shining Warrior – A Heartfelt Joy” (Single)
4. Hachiku: “I’ll Probably Be Asleep,” from I’ll Probably Be Asleep
5. CHAII: “Lightswitch,” from Lightswitch EP
6. Theon Cross: “Activate (feat. Moses Boyd & Nubya Garcia),” from Fyah
7. Kapil Seshasayee: “The Ballad of Bant Singh,” from A Sacred Bore
8. Sophie Hutchings: “Not Alone” (Single)
9. Matilda Mann: “As It Is,” from Because I Wanted You to Know (EP)
10. Shannen James: “Arrows” from Arrows – EP
11. Doom Cannon: “No Lunch, Face Punch” from Goon – EP