The Colorado Sound offers unique and diverse music discovery programming. We are based in Northern Colorado but heard throughout the state, across the country, and around the world. The Colorado Sound brings the spirit and soul of Colorado to our listeners through a cross-genre mix of new music, familiar favorites, and regional standouts.
Community Radio for Northern Colorado (CRNC) is our 501(c)3 parent organization.
The Colorado Sound is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in the workplace.
Current Employment Opportunities:
The Colorado Sound On-Air Fill-In Host / Digital Support and Promotion
Full time, exempt
Pay range: $51,000 – $60,000
The On-Air Fill-In host portion of the position (30%) will host on-air music shows as needed to cover all necessary shifts in case of illness or vacation of the regular on-air hosts. This position will also have a weekly weekend air shift and will be on-air during our membership drives.
The digital support and promotion portion of the position is the primary role (70%). The position will collaborate closely with Content, Programming, Development, and Digital teams on a daily basis to create and coordinate social media content. The position will assist The Colorado Sound in telling strong stories while effectively using social media outlets to post content to boost membership, marketing initiatives, and enhance on-air content. In addition, this position will coordinate our listener ticket giveaways.
Essential Functions: Utility Digital and Promotions (70%)
- Enacts the Colorado Sound social network strategy at the direction of the programming and digital leaders.
- Leads day-to-day community engagement across social channels.
- Produces digital content for social media.
- Uses existing content and creates new content for multiple social media platforms.
- Uses social listening to provide insights, including identifying cultural trends and potential content opportunities and developing them with the appropriate teams.
- Leads social post copy development.
- Decides what platform is best for the content and adjusts postings, as necessary, for what works best for each platform.
- Thinks creatively and collaboratively.
- Finds relevant curated content that resonates with Colorado Sound listeners.
- Represents The Colorado Sound in external communications with content and distribution partners.
- Engages with the audience. Responds to comments and queries; both digital and promotional.
- Populates and frequently reviews content.
- Creates video reels for use on social media platforms.
- Sort, categorize and distribute giveaways weekly.
On-Air Fill-In Host (30%)
- Live and voice tracking for The Colorado Sound music show shifts as needed and requested.
- Regular weekend air shift
- Participates in membership drives and other fundraising activities.
- Represents The Colorado Sound in the local music community at select events.
- Participates in regular air check sessions with the Program Director.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Social media skills across a wide variety of platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and others.
- FCC and EAS guidelines and requirements.
- Triple A music format.
- Know what type of content works best on what platform.
- Understands the different days and times that work best on each platform for highest audience engagement.
- Tailor your communication style in accordance with the social media utilized.
- Communicate effectively on air.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Video, editing, and graphics skills.
- Writing skills, including short and effective headline writing, engaging video introductions and image captions, and structured text for easy reading.
- Interview and production skills.
- Efficient user of technology.
- Broadcast, digital recording, and editing equipment, including Adobe Audition, Wide Orbit, or other automation systems.
- Good organization project management skills.
- Match content with the most impactful social media platform.
- Work professionally, with ethics and integrity, and maintain confidentiality when required.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing utilizing proper grammar.
- Meet deadlines, handle multiple responsibilities at once, and shift gears quickly.
- Work with limited supervision and exercise independent judgment in line with CRNC strategic goals.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication with fellow employees and the community at large.
- Manage multiple priorities and simultaneous demands, organizing and completing tasks as set by the Program Director.
- Commit to and demonstrate supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Think creatively.
- Work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at CRNC and within the public broadcasting system.
- Be a creative collaborator by having the ability to be the voice of The Colorado Sound.
Experience and Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
- At least two (2) years of experience managing social media for an organization.
- Three (3) years of experience in live broadcasting. MUST provide audio samples with the application.
- Must live in the Northern Colorado area. (or be willing to move).
- Valid Colorado driver’s license.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
This position is open until filled.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Pamela Kurtz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
In their submission, applicants must also include links to examples of their on-air hosting and social media campaign work.
A requirement of this position is that the applicant must live in or plan to relocate to the Northern Colorado Area.
Please check the KUNC website for additional potential opportunities.
KUNC and The Colorado Sound are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage diversity in the workplace.